Most people dread the thought of preparing pilau because it is stereotyped as a time-consuming process. Here is a simple (and trust me when I say simple) mutton pilau recipe that you can use to quickly fix this delicious Swahili dish when you’ll be having your friends over for the weekend.
Ingredients of a Mutton Pilau
-3 cups of rice
-2 large onions
-3 cloves garlic
-½ teaspoon cumin seeds
-½ teaspoon cinnamon
-1½ tablespoon pilau masala
Preparation of Mutton Pilau
Cut the mutton into small pieces, wash, then boil until well-cooked.
Finely chop the onions.
Grind the garlic.
1. In a sufuria, heat 4 tablespoons of cooking oil and the cumin seeds.
2. Add the onions and stir-fry for 30 seconds before adding the garlic.
3. Add the mutton, cinnamon and pilau masala. Fry until the onions turn golden brown.
4. Add 6 cups of water, a desirable amount of salt then cover and let the water boil.
5. Put in the washed rice, stir, then cover the sufuria and let the rice cook on low heat.
Serve hot with kachumbari and your favourite cold beverage. Check out our range of juices including Watermelon Juices