Curry powder (bizari in English) is a mixture of spices that take on a yellow hue. One of the main ingredients in curry powder is turmeric.
Curry powder (bizari in English) combines both sweet and savory elements, creating a spice powder that is earthy and warm with a bit of brightness to it. The powder can range from mild to spicy, depending on the type and amount of pepper used; mild will list ginger and black pepper as ingredients, while chili peppers will signify a spicy blend.
The Curry Powder Mix
When we talk about curry powder (bizari in English) , we usually mean a blend of spices from East Indian cuisine. The details may vary but we’re talking turmeric, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dried chilies, black pepper, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, mustard seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, peppercorns, and bay leaves.
Curry Powder vs. Garam Masala
Curry powder (bizari in English) and garam masala are mixtures of various spices that bring both complex flavor and rich color to a dish. Curry powder’s main ingredient is turmeric, which gives it that signature yellow tint but not a lot of taste. The blend’s mild flavor is credited to spices such as fenugreek and cumin, as well as coriander. The recipe for garam masala can vary by region but is sweeter and more pungent than curry powder. The blend of spices typically incorporates cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, mace, and cloves, as well as coriander and cumin.
10 health benefits of curry powder(bizari in English)
- Cumin has been found to reduce the free radicals in the nervous system; thus, building a strong immune system and eliminating toxic buildup within the body.
- One of the most important ingredients in curry powder is turmeric. Turmeric has been found very effective in relieving joint pains and treating inflammation.
- Cardamom and basil often found in curry have been found to be very effective vasodilators thus aiding in the prevention of heart disease. The fiber present in most curry dishes has also been found to aid in cholesterol management.
- Calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium found in Curry Powder are all beneficial in maintaining bone muscle health and are key in slowing the degenerative process. One tablespoon of curry powder may contain as much as 30mg of calcium.
- Turmeric, which is an integral part of curry powder, contains the antioxidant compound curcumin found to detoxify the liver. The liver serves as one of the body’s largest filtration systems processing all food and nutrients that pass through it.
- Coriander a commonly added herb often added to traditional curry powder blends has been found to possess antibacterial and antifungal properties. It has even been found to prevent diseases gut-related infections.
- Curry powder has been found to help ensure the body is absorbing adequate nutrients while maintaining the perfect homeostasis for optimal intestinal health.
- The impressive amount of proteins found in curry powder aid in the transportation of nutrients from food to other parts of the body, thus; aiding in one’s overall digestion.
- The prevention of oxidative stress and damage is made possible by the abundant antioxidant amounts found in curry powder.
- The antioxidants in the herbal blend of curry powder make it a top contender for cancer prevention. Among them, curcumin has been found to target tumors and various cancerous growths within the body.
How to Store Curry Powder (bizari in English)
Your new spice blend should last 3-4 years if stored in a cool, dark place with no direct sunlight and a tight-fitting lid. You can test the potency of older curry powder by rubbing a small amount between your fingers the aroma will be strong if it’s still good for cooking.
Where to Buy Curry Powder in Malindi (bizari in English)
Curry Powder(bizari in English) is readily available at Kilimanjaro Spice Shop as well as grocery markets like New Malindi Market and supermarkets like Huzefa Center, curry powder is an inexpensive way to add rich flavor to your routine.